So you need to use CVTEFN to do the trick or use the CharToNum proc that
wraps the CVTEFN MI instruction.

Bob Cozzi

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Chevalier, Rick
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 11:05 AM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: v5r2 %dec using character argument causing RNQ0105

Dan,

It's the comma.  The following is taken from the RPG reference manual.

*-----------------------------------------------------------------
* If the character data is known to contain non-numeric characters
* such as thousands separators (like 1,234,567) or leading
* asterisks and currency symbols (like $***1,234,567.89), some
* preprocessing is necessary to remove these characters from the
* data.
*-----------------------------------------------------------------
D data s 20a inz('$1,234,567.89')
D num s 21p 9
/free
// Use the %XLATE builtin function to replace any currency
// symbol, asterisks or thousands separators with blanks
num = %dech(%xlate('$*,' : ' ' : data)
: 21 : 9);
// If the currency symbol or thousands separator might
// vary at runtime, use variables to hold these values.
num = %dech(%xlate(cursym + '*' + thousandsSep : ' ' : data)
: 21 : 9);

Rick