Scott said:

>This is not even remotely true....  The time it takes
>to create an activation group is a tiny fraction of
>the time it takes to create a job.
>
>Here are my benchmarks on activation group performance:
>http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/200208/msg00397.html

Hi Scott!
Once again I opened my yap and made it worse.

Your benchmarks use very little storage.  That is, the called program
doesn't have to initialise anything.  In a more typical RPG environment,
there are files to be opened, variables to initialise and so forth.

My original comment was based on practical experience with large-ish RPG
programs in the CISC days.  Looking at your numbers (again!) makes me
realise I should probably build some test jigs and get more modern numbers
before I muddle the issue more.  I have no *NEW programs that I can quickly
run tests on.
  --buck