I discussed this with Donnie off-list, and it turns out that his DR guy
had changed the default send/receive buffer sizes to 1024000 bytes.

Since his CPU is much faster than his network, his program was able to
quickly fill up that 1mb buffer.   Then, it took over 90 seconds for the
program on the other end to empty that buffer out, and that's why his
program was timing out.

His solution was to use setsockopt() to set the socket buffer sizes to
8k in his program, so that when other people make "optimizations" to the
network settings, it doesn't cause this problem.