Joel Fritz wrote:

> I have a subprocedure that updates a file.  I've included a simple audit
> report that shows the before and after value for the field that changes.
>
> The from value comes from a data structure defined in the procedure.  It
> looks like the O specs want global variables.  That makes sense.  Seems like
> overkill to write a print file.  I can also define a global variable used
> only in the file update procedure.  That doesn't really excite me either.
>
> Any suggestions?

Joel, other options I can think of (which will probably excite about as
much or maybe less than copying your DS to global variables)

- format the print line yourself and use data-structure output to the
printer file
- put your O specs in another module and add a main procedure to that
module whose parameter is your DS - in that module, the parameter will
be "global" so the O specs will be able to see it.  (Maybe this is what
you meant by "write a print file", but I'm assuming that means "write an
externally-described print file")

By the way, an externally-described print file won't help unless you are
on V5R2.  Prior to V5R2, externally-described files only use O specs.