Frank,
I am using the DESCRIBE to populate the standard SQLDA data structure,
(I didn't show the SQL INCLUDE statement).  I then process the data
from the SQLDA to determine the field type, char, or Numeric,packed,
etc.,(SQLTYPE)

D*      SQL Descriptor area
D SQLDA           DS
D  SQLDAID                1      8A
D  SQLDABC                9     12B 0
D  SQLN                  13     14B 0
D  SQLD                  15     16B 0
D  SQL_VAR                      80A   DIM(SQL_NUM)
D                        17     18B 0
D                        19     20B 0
D                        21     32A
D                        33     48*
D                        49     64*
D                        65     66B 0
D                        67     96A
D*
D SQLVAR          DS
D  SQLTYPE                1      2B 0
D  SQLLEN                 3      4B 0
D  SQLRES                 5     16A
D  SQLDATA               17     32*
D  SQLIND                33     48*
D  SQLNAMELEN            49     50B 0
D  SQLNAME               51     80A
D*
D SQLVAR2         DS
D  SQLLONGL               1      4B 0
D  SQLRSVDL               5     32A
D  SQLDATAL              33     48*
D  SQLTNAMELN            49     50B 0
D  SQLTNAME              51     80A
D*  End of SQLDA

This was done in order to create a standard prompt window application
that was dynamic in nature that I could use in numerous applications.
There maybe a better way to do this but at the time I did this, I was
pushed for a deadline....as always.

Russell Conerly