Here is my narrowed down scenario.

I created a file in the IFS (successful) and attempted to populate it
(unsuccessful).  When I did a write() to the IFS file that was opened
successfully I get a "Unknown system state." message.  The error that I get
right before this is a "Pointer not set for location referenced." message.
But none of these errors show up if I do the call to the program while in
debug.

Here is the low-level message for the pointer reference error.

                            Display Message Details

 Message ID . . . . . . :   MCH3601       Severity . . . . . . . :   40

 Date sent  . . . . . . :   02/17/03      Time sent  . . . . . . :
15:31:11
 Message type . . . . . :   Escape

 CCSID  . . . . . . . . :   65535

 From program . . . . . . . . . :   masolockmutexbla

   Instruction  . . . . . . . . :     00000C

 To program . . . . . . . . . . :   QC2UTIL3

   To library . . . . . . . . . :     QSYS

   To module  . . . . . . . . . :     QC2HYPSP

   To procedure . . . . . . . . :     _C_TS_malloc

   To statement . . . . . . . . :     10

Any thoughts?

Aaron Bartell