From: Gary Guthrie [mailto:garyguthrie@charter.net]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 7:08 PM

> In most shops the programs don't get the choose whether or not they use
> RPGIII, RPGIV or the /FREE stuff.

And, I sympathize with those who find themselves in this situation. But,
I can't get beyond the idea that they are themselves responsible for
their own fate. They have choice. They can expend effort to educate
decision makers and influence them to use such things as RPG IV and
free-format RPG. And, they also have the ultimate choice to leave a
particular place of employ if that's what it takes.

Before you guys get started on these comments, I realize that such
uprooting might not be the easiest thing to do, but such is life.

> If the shops would spend the money to train their staffs on new stuff, the
> staffs would move.

I'm bothered by statements like this and the last one that put
everything on the employer. Don't get me wrong, I think plenty employers
are likely not the quintessential employer, but...
=================

In these situations the only thing to do is move on to another shop.  I've
fought uphill since working on the 400.  I've b&^%hed and moaned many times
in these forums.  I've been told to make program calls instead of using
TEST(DE).  I've gotten my hand slapped and later a scathing review because I
changed someone's 100+ line routine to 10 lines with a simple SORTA.

I'm still a junior programmer to most, but I've stayed current with the
latest the language has to offer.  I've taught myself and then others RPGIV.
I've learn CGI programming signing onto the system or Netshare400 for hours
at night only to have any ideas fall on deaf ears.  It truly is frustrating.
Luckily I've landed at a place that "allows" and actually encourages me to
use RPGIV, procedures, /free.  I think so employers are starting to realize
they could cut down on turnover if they allow their people to grow.  It
would be nice if companies sent you to training and seminars, but I've
always taken it upon myself.