> From: Barbara Morris
>
> Here are a couple of reasons why I think it's not wise to convert "all"
> existing code to /free:

You've answered my question before I asked it.  Momentarily, my post will
pop up asking what you wuold do with legacy code.  Your personal opinion is
that legacy code should not be rewritten.  This is sort of a new angle.
Until recently, I think it was pretty much understood that all RPG III code
should be converted to RPG IV "as time permits".

You're implying that this may not be the same for /free, and that there may
always be the two distinct flavors of code - fixed and /free.  This almost
promotes the concept that /free should actually be a new language, a sort of
RPG++, and that the two compilers will always live side by side (with the
older compiler there primarily to support legacy code and not really
receiving any enhancements).

This is a very interesting concept.  It's not wholly a bad thing, either.
As long as the old compiler is kept around for historical purposes, and
people are taught good programming techniques.  I agree with you that almost
without exception there could be a "better" way of doing things that the
MOVE doesn't need.  And if indeed you are advocating a migration (there's no
other way to put it) the new, evolved RPG language, then the %move BIF would
probably only be a hindrance.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I may yet embrace the /free side (if only you didn't put a semicolon at the
end of the IF instruction <grin>).

Joe