Paul Tuohy wrote:
Double hmm..... :-)

Doc, using a tool like TextPad may be fine for you who, obviuosly, has managed to kick the SEU habit and realises the benefit of the PC style editors.

But look at it from the point of view of the RPG programmer who is in the process of moving to RPG IV and ILE and also start using some type of a PC editor. Should they look at Code/400 or TextPad (or a.n. other)?

Most of the items on you list, Code can do. Also, you need to customize the editor (e.g. rulers)for what should be standard for an RPG editor. The verifier and navigator in Code/400 are invaluable and, for those new to RPG IV, the RPG Reference manual on F1 is a life saver.

I too code most of my HTML by hand and I use Code/400 for it. But - when I get to the trickier stuff I use HTML-Kit - horses for courses. I want to use the tool the will help me get the job done with the minimum amount of fuss. If I am writing a "simple" java program I use Code/400 - if it is more complex I use the Visualage IDE.

Doc, I know you are expressing a personal preference (and your personal preference is way better then SEU <grin>) but I think you should give Code another shot!

OK, OK, I SWEAR I WILL! I PROMISE! Between you and Gary... one would think I'd started supporting Aston Villa or Spurs or something... <grin>

-Doc, who's hiding behind Joe's thick hide...