Hmmm... I know that using TextPad isn't the optimal IDE solution.

However, I prefer it to CODE for a variety of reasons:

1. It's small and quick.

2. I know enough RPG syntax to not need the prompter <grin>
Actually, I created rulers (well, stole rulers from the SEU
IFxx prompts) that I can easily paste into the body of the code.

3. I write a lot of different kinds of code-- RPG, C, Java, TCL,
Perl, Python... so on and so forth. Because I can create (or
find on the TextPad website) syntax dictionaries, I have
syntax highlighting.

4. I like the flexibility I have in TextPad to use regular
expressions in search patterns, and I can scan loads of project
files quickly.

5. I can record macros quickly and easily, and hook them into
toolbar buttons.

6. Heilos' support has been nothing short of outstanding. The $25
I spent for the original licence was in 1997. I haven't had to pay
a dime extra for some pretty substantial upgrades in function.

7. I code all of my web pages by hand-- TextPad makes this very easy
for me.

8. Clip book support means I can save code snippets easily, for those
times when I don't like the support macros give me.

9. The block select mode ROCKS. I can clip rectangular regions of
text, which is actually a lot handier than you'd think.

10. I can create PC, UNIX, or Mac text files. I can save them in ANSI,
UTF 8, Unicode, or Unicode big endian formats.

11. There's a text sort feature that makes alphabetizing lists quick.

12. I can write code offline, which was the big draw for me.

13. I don't have to conform to IBM's semi-colon rule in free-format RPG;
I have a script that formats the text for me appropriately. (It
also purges the rulers I mentioned in #2.)

Of course, there are some holes--
No automatic file transfer via FTP (I have a Perl script that does that).
Compilation results have to be transferred back to the PC-- sometimes I don't bother.
No way of integrating the OS/400 debugger into TextPad!

Now, of course, every 9th subscriber on this list will go, "So?" or "Well, CODE does..." Let me say, "That's nice." My opinion of CODE has nothing to do with anyone else's coding style. If you got a tool that produces the code you need... well, go man go! Whatever works best for you. I haven't tried the CODE version that's now in Eclipse, nor have I tried UltraEdit (I think that was the name). I need to look into those cos if there's one thing I am it's LAZY. If I can find a tool that'll cut down on the amount of work I have to do, I'm IN.

Also, someone asked "What is TMKMAKE?" TMKMAKE is a utility that's part of QUSRTOOL that performs like a make tool found in Unix. OPM programs tend to be pretty straightforward in the rebuild process-- you just build the program, and that's it. Since ILE programs may be composed of many pieces and re-building all of those components may be tedious, time consuming, or dangerous, TMKMAKE allows you to identify a particular object's (sometimes called a target) components, and create rules outlining how both the underlying components and the target may be created. Additionally, TMKMAKE is sensitive to dates, so it's possible to only recompile and rebind the targets that are affected by a particular change, rather than recreating every stinking bit of code
just because I changed one line.

If done correctly, it's a powerful tool for quickly producing incremental (that is not recompiling the world) builds of entire software products.

The downside is that make script syntax and behaivour can be a little arcane, and you have to spend a LOT of time with them in order to become proficient with them.

Later all...

-Doc, who's listening to George Harrison