--- Gary Guthrie <garyguthrie@charter.net> wrote:
> ... fate ... choice ... influence ... sympathy ...
> And, they also have the ultimate choice to leave a
> particular place of employ if that's what it takes.
>
> Before you guys get started on these comments, I realize that such
> uprooting might not be the easiest thing to do, but such is life.

Got my dander up.  I couldn't let this one go.  Must be the single digits
outside tonight.

So, you think we should uproot for the sake of being able to code in /free?

"Honey, let's sell our nice home and move out of our nice neighborhood, and
yank our 13-, 11-, and
7- year old children out of schools they like and from friends they enjoy, and
take the chance and
move to somewhere where we've never lived before, to work for a company I've
never heard of
before, JUST so I can code in /free, OK?  Cuz, see, I hate RPG-III."

Yeah, that's the ticket.

I have done the uprooting stuff, Gary, just in the past year.  Only it wasn't
so I could work in
/free or RPG-IV.  It was so I could just work, PERIOD.  I could go on and on
for quite awhile, but
frankly, I just wanted to let you know that while I agree that it's up to each
of us to keep
current and make ourselves valuable to employers (and I do, to the best of my
ability, while at
the same time remembering my priorities as a father and a husband), sometimes
you and a few others
on this list seem to sit on a high perch, enjoying your perfect view of the
world, without a clue
as to what it's really like "down in the trenches".  Congratulations to you if
you've been able to
take your pickings from the dreamwork tree or maybe be able to use your
iSeriesNetwork credentials
to persuade your clients to use all the new-fangled stuff, but, please refrain
from your clueless
comments about some of us who have struggled throughout our career, trying to
do the right things,
to learn new skills and *retain* them, and trying to just put some frickin food
on the table.  As
I've read your comments for about the 10th time now, it just strikes me that
you are so frickin
smug.  "hey such is life."  Sheesh.  How about, "life sucks and then you die"?

Not usually this bitter, but you pushed the right buttons.

- Dan