Mark,
No need to apologize.  CODE is a more advanced tool (after all they have an
$80+ billion company putting it out) but the user interface in CODE sucks in
my view (except the editing portion).

This is due largely to the fact that IBM had national-language support
restrictions. The had to design dialog boxes that would never sell well to
the PC user market; hence CODE never sold _well_.

CodeStudio never sold well lately either. Back when I first created in, in
the mid 1990s, it sold about 600 units. Then in about 1998 to 1999 due to
several inquires I reinvested in it and created a Win32 version that was 10x
better. Ironically we sold 10x fewer units, at 1/8th the price. Go figure.

CODE is now included with the RPG compilers, so there's no need to buy
another editor unless you find one that you like better. Of course if you
install the WDSc you do need a 2Ghz+ PC with 1Gig of RAM to make it perform
"normal".

The issue for editors is that there is ZERO market for 3rd party editors.
RPG shops perceive SEU and CODE/400 to be "free" which they are not, but if
they are included with the compilers I supposed that makes them free to the
AS/400 programmer.

In all this talk about skills and ability to read code. I have been sitting
back here, lurking and kept my mouth shut. But I think the biggest single
thing that is keeping iSeries and AS/400 developers back (wither they use
RPGIII, RPGIV, C or C++) is the use of SEU as their editor of choice. In my
view, as long as people continue to use SEU the iSeries application market
will not evolve for the better. This is why I wrote CodeStudio in the first
place.

The new stuff coming out in the next release will require you to use a
non-SEU editor to make it work. It will be interesting to see if people
actually abandon SEU top leverage that new stuff. I guess I'm sitting on the
fence on this one. On one hand I'd like to see people move to a GUI
editor/IDE, on the other hand IBM has never shipped a single GUI tool that
has been useful on the first or 2nd release. So I'm not too confident.

Bob Cozzi