Isn't OneQ really nothing?  I would give const(''') a shot.  I know I use ''
to replace a character, which actually deletes it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan [mailto:dbcerpg@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 3:06 PM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: What's the error?

I am having a devil of a time debugging a what should be a simple thing:

    Eval      nPos = %scan(OneQ : InString : nPos )

OneQ is defined as a single apostrophe:
    D OneQ     C        Const('''')

The program blows up on this statement whenever the last non-blank character
in the InString
variable is an apostrophe, with the following error:

 Message ID . . :  RNX0100    Severity . . :   50
 Message type . :  Escape
 Date sent  . . :  01/29/03   Time sent  . :   14:28:16

 Message . . :   Length or start position is out of range for
the string operation.

 Cause . . . :   One of the following has occurred in RPG
procedure ENQUOTE in program DEVDB/AA1A2:
   - A numeric length or start position is less than 1 or too
large for the string operation.
   - The search-argument parameter of the %SCAN built-in function
has zero length or is longer than the source-string parameter.
   - The maximum-length parameter of the %STR built-in function
is not a value between 1 and 32767.

The program is shown in its entirety below:  (If the list wraps the source,
I can email it
"straight" directly to anyone who desires to try it out.)

     H DFTACTGRP(*NO)  debug

     Fqprint    o    f  132        printer

     D EnQuote         PR          4096A   VARYING

     D  InString                   2048A   VALUE VARYING

     d Strings         s            100    DIM(11) CTDATA PERRCD(1)
     d Result          s            132a   inz(' ')
     c                   eval      *inLR = *On
     c                   Do        11            x                 3 0
     C* **************   EVAL      Result = EnQuote( %TRIM(Strings( x )) + '
' )
     C                   EVAL      Result = EnQuote( %TRIM(Strings( x ))
)
     c                   except
     c                   enddo
     Oqprint    e                        1
     O                                              '.'
     O          e                        1
     O                       Strings(x)
     O          e                        1
     O                       Result

     P EnQuote         B
     d EnQuote         PI          4096A   VARYING
     D  InString                   2048A   VALUE VARYING
     D nPos            S              5I 0
     D OneQ            C                   Const('''')
     D TwoQ            C                   Const('''''')
     C                   Eval      nPos = %scan(OneQ:InString)
     C                   Dow       nPos > 0
     C                   Eval      InString = %replace(TwoQ: InString: nPos:
1)
     C                   Eval      nPos = nPos + 2
     C                   Eval      nPos = %scan(OneQ : InString : nPos )
     C                   enddo
     C                   Eval      InString = OneQ + InString + OneQ
     C                   Return    InString
     P                 E
**
Them's original's are deader than dead, don't you think?
What if there were no single quotes in the sentence?
What if someone got goofy and put a bunch of single quotes together like
this: ''''' (5)
'A'

'B

C'

    D'

    'F

    'G'

What if there's a single apostrophe that ends the string?'

*** the above statement is the end of the source file ***

You may note that the source has one line commented out.  Appending a space
character to the
%trimmed string being passed to the procedure was the difference between the
program bombing or
working.  Unfortunately, the commented-out statement had the adverse effect
of adding a blank to
the end of the string being encapsulated in quotes.  In the particular case
I am dealing with, I
am using the procedure to build a 50-character TEXT parameter that needs to
be encapsulated in
quotes.  This procedure also scans for apostrophes within the string and
doubles them as
necessary.  When I pass a TEXT string that has a non-blank in the 50th
position, the commented out
code would make the string 51 bytes long, which, when I try to run a command
with this TEXT
parameter, it bombs because it is longer than 50 bytes.

TIA, Dan