Mihael,

there are other rpg lists, but this is the only one i use.

as far as using a user space for your table file, that seems to me to be a
bit of overkill, unless your goal is to learn more about userspaces.  A
better option might be loading the file into an RPG table.

there was a large thread on this list a month or so ago that talked about
what to do in this situation.  If i remember correctly, the concensus was
that chaining to a 30 record file many multiple times, you would gain
little by loading the file into a table.

It was something about the as/400 single level store - after the 1st (pick
a number) chains to your table file, the database optimizer would recognize
that this was a file that is going to be used a lot, and would leave it in
resident memory for easy access.

15000 records is not a large number of records to process, and 15000/10
chains is also not a huge number for chains.   this program should run
fairly quickly (easily under a minute?) on a right-sized iseries.  even
faster if run in batch.

are you having performance problems with this program?  or are you just
writing it and want to do it right the first time?

hth,

rick