On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Mike Haston ** Data wrote:

> Where would one turn if he wanted to become educated in the ways of FTP
> from the AS/400.  I'm guessing FTP is FTP no matter what system you're
> on?  We do traditional EDI through VANS right now, but in the future
> would like to get into using more and more FTP.

By and large, yes... FTP is FTP.   There are some extra considerations
unique to the iSeries, such as reading/writing the fixed-length record
files in the QSYS.LIB (traditional library/file) filesystem.

And, of course, the various ways that humans interact with FTP varies
largely from FTP client to FTP client.   Though, the command-line driven
FTP clients are all very similar.

> I know it's a very general question, that shows my lack of
> understanding.  In the windows world I use CuteFTP and Dreamweaver so I
> simply click buttons.  On the AS/400 we have FTP software called
> TrailBlazer (I believe).  I'd like to understand the whole process and
> tracking or confirming from the ground up.

What are you trying to learn?   Remember, this is the RPG mailing
list.   Are you wanting to write your own FTP software using RPG?   Are
you wanting to integrate another FTP software (apparently trailblazer)
into your RPG applications?

I mean "from the ground up" isn't very specific.   I could start by
explaining electricity, move on to electronics, then digital electronics,
then computers, networking, etc, etc...  and although that's "from the
ground up" it's almost certainly more than you're asking for.   :)

On the other hand, I could start with topics that are unique to FTP.
The design and history of the FTP protocol...   but there again... is that
really what you're interested in?  Unless you're planning to write your
own FTP software, you probably don't care how FTP works internally.

So... what are you asking, exactly?