Dan wrote:

> Question for Barbara, Hans:  Why does attempting to clear an input-only
> record generate only a severity 00 warning (RNF7114)?  It would seem to
> me to be more appropriate to generate a severity 30 to cause the
> compile to abend.  After all, the intention to clear the record format
> is rejected.  Are "save the programmer from himself" type errors not
> used as a basis for severity 30 errors?
>
> Carrying this a little bit further.  If I change the RNF7114 message
> description's Severity Code to 30, will that generate the compile abend
> I'd like to see?  Are there any negative effects of doing this?  (I
> know that release upgrades and perhaps PTF applys will likely reset
> this parameter.)

Change the severity of both RNF7114 and RNS7114(*).  This will cause the
compile to fail the way you want.  There are no negative effects for
changing the severity of a message to 30, other than programs not
compiling that formerly compiled.

I am unable to comment on the larger question of why the CLEAR
diagnostics have odd severities.

(*) There isn't always an RNS (S for substitution) version of the
message, but if there is, it should be changed to match the RNF
version.  For OPM RPG, you would change QRGnnnn and also RXTnnnn, if
there is one.