Barbara,

is this an 'undocumented feature' or a bug?  intended, or screwup.

i'd like an example of where this would be beneficial, not just confusing.

If I ran across existing code like that below, without knowing what i know
now, i would assume that datastructure 'ds' was 22 bytes long, with a 10 in
positions 11,12... and maybe would have spent hours trying to figure out
why it wasn't true.

wouldn't anyone?

rick