I noticed that Mr. Eckel advises that a basic understanding of C syntax
is recommended before jumping in to his ebook.  Did you have this
background before you started, Mark?

Also, to the original poster, while I can't say how Java could benefit
your company (because you don't provide enough information about what
it is that brought about the question in the first place), I will say
that I've noticed that AS/400 P/A's that have working Java experience
are in better demand right now than those that don't have Java
experience.  Pretty nice pay jump, too, from what I've heard from a
recruiter.  If your company opts to jump on the Java bandwagon, I
believe you would be wise to jump on as well.

- Dan