I partially agree with this.   When you become a programmer in a business
environment, it does take 3 years to become truly productive.
However, MOST of that is learning the business logic and getting good at
the techniques required.

Once you've already gotten all of that mastered, learning a new
programming language is easy.   The basics of any programming language are
the same... the same algebra is required.  The same logic is required.
Loops all pretty much work the same.  Ifs all work pretty much the same.
File access all follows the same general paradigm.  The exact syntax may
differ, but that's really not that big of a factor.

It's changing paradigms that's difficult.   Changing from procedural logic
(which is possible in any language, including Java and VB) to
object-oriented logic is a much more significant change.   Or, to a lesser
extent, changing from program-driven to event-driven logic is a
significant change.

But, simply learning to code "DIM" instead of "D-spec" or learning
"subprograms" instead of "subprocedures"?   Not a big deal.