I like your thinking Reeve.  I travelled the same path that your mind is on
and finally decided to do something, not stand still.  I decided to learn
HTML and VARPG and skip the whole Java blip.  I chose HTML because it works,
and VARPG because whether I  like it or not Microsoft lands on it's feet
everytime and Windows is their product.  I felt I'd better be able to cope
with Microsoft solutions.

Yes the %bifs are available. Not Freeform.  And yes, they also have to keep
up with the moving target called Windows.  I do not envy them the task.

Your other concerns are real too.  VARPG is a tangential product at best.
There's not many shops using it and finding clients that will accept a VARPG
solution is a real bummer.  Thank goodness I chose HTML too or I'd be stuck
in the green-screen World.

It is interesting that you mention "the ability to vary the screen layout
dynamically would be nice".   You're are asking for is event-driven logic,
not cycle-driven logic.  That is the biggest learning curve with VARPG.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com