This is an interesting problem.  3 million records does not seem like a huge
number. I am not convinced that there is an advantage of 9 programs running
vs 1 program running, especially where there is a selection process being
done by the logicals.

If I understood you correctly and there are 6 separate ancillary files then
another choice that could be considered is UpdatePrimary on the large file
and then UpdateSecondary on each of the 6 ancillary files, with MR (Matching
Record).  This process brings each record with the same PNO to the processor
at the same time with no need for chaining.   It is a very fast process to
run, and is unbelievably easy to program once you understand it. (It is hard
to understand because so much is done automatically, and you have the
feeling that "It can't be this simple".)

 I am not sure how often you need to reorganize.  If you reorganize and
during the next period there are relatively few new records added then a
reorganize won't take long, but processing the file with a few
out-of-sequence records at the end won't take much longer either.

Another possibility that comes to mind would be to use a dataque.  Read from
the primary file only, sending a dataque record.  A work program listens to
the dataque and grabs the record and looks up the ancillary files and
processes the PNO. If the dataque gets busy, start another instance of the
work program.  Start 6 instances of the work program.  Heck, start 15
instances of the work program.  In this scenario there would be no need or
reason to read the primary file in keyed order.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com