thanks a lot for a detailed clarification on the file order and how
reorganize helps.

Unfortunately, I cant get rid of multi-format logical file due to various
reasons (pardon me for not providing the reasons here)
Regarding "Is there some real reason the records must be processed in Key
Sequence
instead of Arrival Sequence?"  .....

Since there are too many records, in real time, the program is submitted in
batch with the complete 3+ million records broken down smaller units using
the PNO range in the select criteria in the DDS. In other words there are 9
such multi-format logical, with select criteria range being different. Each
logical if for one job being submitted so that all runs in parallel.

The update in the program is also to all formats (following the update to
first format, all other formats are getting updated) and hence keyed order
is important here (i.e) if a record in format1 with a particular PNO is
processed, then all other formats would also have the same PNO being
processed and hence being updated uniformly. The application functionality
is such that all the 6 physical files have a record (during insert) for any
given PNO. This might not happen in arrival sequence.

After reading the explanations, I am trying to find out when to do a
reorganize for all these physical files (as reorganize itself takes ample
amount of time) .... depending on when the inserts happen, so that the
reorganize can be done well in advance during batch process in parallel to
some other job to save time,
there by taking advantage of NBRRCDS.

"Booth Martin" <Booth@MartinVT.com>@midrange.com on 12/25/2002 06:45:27 PM

Please respond to rpg400-l@midrange.com