> From: Scott Klement
>
> In other words, you shouldn't be changing the code of a program that
> you're not willing to debug.

I shouldn't have to debug my program to move up to the next version of the
compiler.  If you think that's an acceptable expense, then you and I
disagree.

> > Are you saying that you want there to be two separate, distinct
> > sets of code - freeform and non-freeform?  Any development
> managers hearing
> > this should be cringing.  Even IBM knew they had to provide
> CVTRPGSRC, even
> > if it wasn't very complete.  Have you seen a corresponding tool for
> > freeform?  (Linoma's tool, BTW, is very good for this.  But they're a
> > partner of mine, so my opinion is biased <grin>)
> >

> I have absolutely no idea what your point is here.

And the fact that you don't may be why we're having a hard time discussing
this.  My background is in managing development, so perhaps my view is
skewed.  But it's really quite simple.  I have a legacy system written in
RPG IV.  Today, my options are:

1. Write all new code in RPG IV, ignore free form
2. Convert legacy to free form, write all new in free form
3. Leave legacy in RPG IV, write new in free form

You seem to be advocating the last option, which is the two separate sets of
code.  Do you understand now?

> The compiler team does not pay me.   But there must be something wrong
> with me if I agree with them, right?

Tongue in cheek.  I'll be careful not to attempt humor.  I seem to be
failing miserably.

> /endfree
>      c                   move      x             y
> /free

This is not freeform code.  To me, having to switch back and forth between
free and non-free format is a kludge, and an ugly one at that.

Anyway, you seem to like freeform with all its limitations.  Being a
development manager and a software provider, I think it's got some glaring
deficiencies, enough to make it non-viable for wholesale acceptance at
legacy shops.

Joe