Wouldn't it be great if the link is referencing something on the AS/400
instead of the those 'other' DB2's

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Liotta [mailto:qsrvbas@netscape.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 12:01 PM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: OPNQRYF Question

First, for anyone who's curious about a <possible> future direction for
'updatable views', plus some discussion on why they're such a problem to
begin with, here's a link that introduces the idea of "INSTEAD OF
triggers":

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z64822C42
  or
http://www7b.software.ibm.com/dmdd/library/techarticle/0210rielau/0210ri
elau.html

Not quite ready for the iSeries, apparently, but DB2 Universal Database
seems near a change.

As for Janell's problem, maybe it's simply a matter of realizing that
'*INP' is the correct choice. This means that the create view will only
be opened by the RPG program for input.

Janell, if you actually want to have your RPG program do output to the
view, you won't be able to do it directly. You will need to add more
file F-specs for the real files and do the output to those while the
join view stays input-only to your program. But if you're just going to
read the join view and maybe print a report, then '*INP' is still fine
and no additional F-specs are needed.

Tom Liotta

rpg400-l-request@midrange.com wrote:

>  10. RE: OPNQRYF Question (Buck Calabro)
>
>Janell Haskins wrote:
>
>>I recently "discovered" OPNQRYF
>
>Welcome to the ranks!  Before I get too far, I want to point out that
there
>are at least two FAQ entries on OPNQRYF.  Visit http://faq.midrange.com
and
>use the search link in the lower left to search for OPNQRYF.  I hope
there's
>some help in there.  I added Rob's links (thanks Rob!)
>

>As I was typing this, I see that Werner posted an excellent example of
>joining using OPNQRYF.  From an RPG perspective, using his example you
would
>to define a F spec with SRQSHA as input.  The OVRDBF he shows
re-directs the
>RPG program's I/O from SRQSHA to SRPSH.  SRPSH is the first file named
on
>the FILE parameter of the OPNQRYF statement.
>
>>So here's my question, can I use OPNQRYF to
>>select the desired records [and update them].
>
>No.  A JOIN can't be updated.  Yet.  Maybe the DB2 team are working on
that
>as we speak...  The way I handle this sort of thing is to do the join
via
>OPNQRYF and declare another F spec where you would do your
output/updating.
>Read from the primary (selected records only) file and
CHAIN/SETLL/READE to

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.