Are you creating the file with O_CREAT and at the same time assigning
O_TEXTDATA and O_CODEPAGE?  If so, that's the problem.

When you open a file with O_TEXTDATA it translates whatever the codepage
on the file is...  however, if the file doesn't exist, no code page has
been assigned, so no translation is done.  When you use O_CODEPAGE, you
are assigning a code page...  OS/400 thinks that the data you're writing
to that file will already be in that code page, and that's why you're
assigning that.

For example, if you were writing an HTTP client (since I know yu've done
this) and you've asked the server for a codepage, you'd tell the AS/400
that codepage.  You wouldn't want the data translated, because you'd be
receiving it on the socket already in that page.
And, that's what OS/400 thinks is happening...

The solution is pretty simple.   First create the file with
O_CREAT & O_CODEPAGE, then close() it and open it again.  This time with
O_TEXTDATA.   Since the file already exists, and already has a code page,
the system will automatically translate for you.

Good Luck!