From: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Date: Monday, October 28, 2002 10:47:24 AM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Another Concatenation Question

Professor Scott Klement <klemscot=QiMvqoXZMzZWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
helped educate the masses by saying:

>> Why doesn't the following code work?

<snip>

> The result is a 108-character string

<snip>

Duh. Any 1st quarter freshman shoulda seen that. Geez.
That loud "POP!" you heard was just me, pulling my head outta... well,
you know...

Thanks for the lesson in Text Strings 101.

>> Let's not get into any VARYING discussions or anything like that. I

>> just wanna know how to get this to work.

> Think about it... what can you add to the end of an 80-byte string,

> and expect it to still fit in 80 bytes?

> Hmmm... if only there were a way to make a string not be

> fixed-length... something where the length could vary, so you could

> add it to itself, and the length would increase, instead of simply

> truncating... Sigh. If only I could talk about VARYING.

(sigh). Okay. So by identifying the text field as VARYING, this
eliminates the compiled program from having to fill trailing blanks.
Perhaps I was too hasty to eliminate a VARYING discussion.

So what you're telling me is that by specifying the VARYING keyword, I
eliminate the need for the %trim BIF? Uhh... or rather, the %trimR BIF?
Okay, I'll give THAT a shot.

One of these days, I may just make it into the 21st century. Keep me in
your prayers...

Oh, and thanks for the education. Lord knows, I need it.

--
David Schopp
WISDM Team Leader