>Unfortunately not everyone knows that if you ask
>a general question, without doing some research
>on your own, that you will get flamed.

1) I didn't see the flame, but that is in fact just an opinion.
2) If I walk up to a total stranger at a fast food place
   and ask her to "Tell me about that food", will she?
   Will she stand there for a half hour while I ask more
   detailed questions?  Will she be happy about it?  Will
   she establish a web site dedicated to helping new
   fast-food consumers?

>...all that goes down the drain as soon as you chew
>out a newbie for asking an over simplified question, IMO.

I rarely set my twit filter based on a single post, but that's just me...

>Maybe we have forgotten what it is
>like to first start using RPG???

I remember all too well what it is like to start using RPG.  I have tried
many times (and got private email asking me to stop) helping people with
generic questions on the list.  The simple fact remains that an email
reflector is a poor place to get an education on the fundamentals.  I tried
several times, on several topics and failed miserably, but perhaps that's
just me.  Nobody would love to see a newbie corner more than I.  Or even one
FAQ entry from everyone reading this note.

>The question could have been just as easily answered by
>providing a URL to some resources.

In the spirit of providing doing just that, I searched the archives (link at
the bottom of _every_message_, and found there were several threads on this
very topic.  I pulled one at random and got a surprise:
http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/199903/msg00174.html  David Prowak
provided code that specifically answered "how do I define dynamic arrays?"
http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/199903/msg00156.html as did Mark Walter
in THIS thread.  The archives are replete with references to the FAQ
http://faq.midrange.com and RPG Redbook
http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg245402.html?
Open.  Of course, "How do I define...?" morphed significantly into "I want
to use only dynamic arrays like REDIM."  Sort of limits the URLs that apply.
At least I couldn't find any.

Alas I don't know the answer on REDIM, except that if I were going to do
this I would use the code from the iSeries-toolkit
http://www.iseries-toolkit.org

>my $.02

Different opinions are valuable.  If everybody thought the same as I, the
place would be populated by drooling idiots.
  --buck