>I shouldn't step between my betters

<looks furtively around> Are you talking about me? Bwa ha haha!

>I had problems when I paid attention to the
>compiler's warning message and closed the file
>because IBM says you shouldn't leave a file
>open in a NOMAIN module. According to an IBMer
>that I heard at COMMON in Minneapolis (sorry I
>can't remember who), there is very little
>performance penalty because the access path
>is still open in the activation group--it is only
>flagged as closed.

This sounds interesting.  Sounds like a shared ODP situation.  I can't see
any other way this situation can occur (file left open in the AG after one
program has closed it).

>So when I first tried closing files in NOMAIN modules,
>I discovered that when I CLOSE the file in the service
>program and another program lower in the call stack
>running in the same activation group also uses
>that file, it sees the file as closed, too.

Is this a SHARE(*YES) environment or are we talking about the IF %OPEN()
test reporting the wrong state?

>But we have noticed no penalty for using it
[closing the file after each use in a procedure]
>in our shop.

Another interesting observation.  Thanks for sharing your experience with
this.  I'd say that there aren't too many people with hands-on experience;
every report helps us all!
  --buck