Ron, of course there is the 9999 record limit.  There's also the usage of
the file to consider.  I question your statement about the vacation to Aruba
however.  Try it sometime;.you'll be surprised  -  this is not your Dad's
Oldsmobile.  The iSeries is a pretty perky machine now. (by the way, 1000
presses of the page key?  Why not use the scrollbar and just jump to the
right place instantly?  No presses at all. None. zero. zilch, nada.)

About static data:  There's no suggestion that we should use just load-all.
There's good reason to have load-all in your gearbelt though.  A complete
load-all subfile program can easily be under 50 lines, total, including
documentation.  The example on my web site is about 30 lines long and works
just fine.  That particular program displays available terms for payment in
a prompt pop-up window with the terms chosen by a mouse click or enter key.
Available terms for payment rarely change during the day.

Another example might be Accounts Receivable Inquiry.  Customer names tend
to be fairly static.  Payroll names are also reasonably static.  Windows won
t run a whole day anyway without rebooting, so you will get at least 2
refreshes a day.

But as I said earlier this is a very emotional discussion without much
recent benchmarking or research.  It sure would be nice if someone
knowledgeable would play around a bit with this question and shed some white
light.  If they prove me wrong so what.  I'm used to being wrong.  If they
show what I believe they will show then you guys will all have a fresh tool
to use in our war with the Borg.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com