Aaron, thank you for the positive response.

So far I am finding that what is happening is that programs are developing
faster because the entire scope of any one program is small and closely held
  The Vertical approach requires that I deal with every aspect from user's
fingertips to data files. The horizontal approach requires that i deal with
each level as an individual piece.  I mentioned Name & Address before
because thats the easiest to use for demonstration.  How many programs have
the name & address file in their F-specs?  Why?  Why should I have to hit
the name and address file over and over?  Why should any security officer
have to fret over who has authority to the company's master name and address
file?  That whole process should be a stand-alone process.  I hesitate to
say "black boxed" because people immediately say "RPG can't do true OO"
which is true of course.

The other reason I feel programs develop quicker is because once the name &
address piece is written, no programmer ever needs to deal with it again.
Once the pricing mechanism is written, no programmer needs to jump through
the pricing/discount hoops again.

A strategy for implementation is a whole 'nuther discussion.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com