Joe, since you said a "design question" I'll take a wild potshot at your
choices.

My reaction is that your design question is the wrong question to begin with
  When we did the old-style monolithic programs they were huge amorphous
blobs that were a bear to define and understand.  Next we went to
sub-routines and then called programs, but all of these designs were tightly
integrated in a vertical way all the way from the user's fingertips to the
actual database field.  We did verifications, display designs, the whole
thing.  That was a great relief from what we'd been doing.

Then along comes the web and xml and client-server and java and all the
choices.  Vertical integration has not worked well in that arena.  People
are beginning to slice the cabbage horizontally instead of vertically.  My
experience so far is "Voila! something that is right for the times!"

Given those comments, my first reaction is that you've asked the wrong
question.  You have no real desire to design a complex multi-panel display.
You want to design the layer below the user interface.  Once that is done,
your task becomes entirely different, and you begin thinking "Which
interfaces do I wish to layer on top?  (Greenscreen, yes): (HTML, maybe);
(client server, probably); (Java, yes).

The horizontal layers I think of at first blush are:
Top: GUI interface, only. No data files touched.
3rd: business rules, validations, security
2nd: database relations, cascading deletes, trigger programs, and actual
contact with the data.
1st: data. Just the data. Untouched by any program excepting layer 2
programs.  Not even for inquiry.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com