Actually,

 EVAL fromdate:x
    00000     F2F0F0F2 F0...... ........ ........   - 20020

would be consistent with
 FROMDATE          P(8,0)
not
 FROMDATE          S(8,0)

So maybe it's simply the compiler listing that's wrong?  The intermediate
source in QTEMP shows ELDATE as zoned:

 D  SQL_00011             65     72S 0    ELDATE
 D  SQL_00012             73     76S 0    ELTIMI

C                   EVAL      ELDATE = SQL_00011
C                   EVAL      ELTIMI = SQL_00012

and ELDATE itself is in the externally-defined data structure, which
presumably uses the external format, which is zoned-decimal.  If I compile
from the intermediate QTEMP source, the compile listing shows:

Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050 voice
909 522-3214 cellular