From: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com [mailto:rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Rich Duzenbury
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 4:41 PM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: api/socket solution to talk to a PC

Sockets are not difficult.  Scott Klement has an online tutorial deal -
http://klement.dstorm.net at
http://klement.dstorm.net/rpg/socktut/index.html

The famous RPG redbook 'who knew' or 'sorcerer's guide' has some code.

Personally, I'd skip talking to a winblows machine, and talk to the switch
directly, if possible.

At 04:24 PM 9/18/02, you wrote:
>I am out on a limb here - and desperate for a quick study -
>
>Here is the scenario -
>
>On V5R1, ile/rpg running, I want it to talk to a PC Visual basic program
>running on the same PC as the 5250 emulation program is -
>will have three copies of rpg running, but only one pc will have the VB
>program on it,
>
>The VB program will be written by a company to control a switch to turn off
>a conveyer
>when my RPG program does not say it was a valid/good scan (bad customer
>number/order# ect.)
>or time out due to reading eye being out of alignment -
>
>my question is this ---
>
>What the heck am I trying to do (api/socket programming or play space
>invaders)
>and if so, where can I learn how to do this by the end of the week???
>
>I love putting my foot in my mouth before I look up how to do something -
>
>Thanks for the advice and help
>

>Mark A. Manske
>Fleming CSD - Plymouth Division
>Sr. Project Lead