>What they should do is remove the "B" from the RPG manual, and have a
>compiler message that says "The B data type is deprecated, please
>replace it with a I" just like they do in every other language on every
>other platform.
>
>I know, I know, you can use decimal places with a "B" data type and not
>with an "I", and people think that this means "B" should stay.   But,
>really, who uses that?!

<hesitantly raises hand>
Er... well... ummm...
Not here, but at an earlier company.  It was a database change made in the
S/3 days from Packed to Binary to keep the same number of columns but
increase the maximum number.

I am completely in favour of a compiler option/H spec that defaults to a
fatal error if B data types are in use.  Then everybody's standard H specs
could have that option included.  Except for me, in those few programs that
use binary with decimals.  They would get a custom H spec.
  --buck