Dheeraj,

I was just thinking of how something like this might work and have a
couple of things bothering me.

You mention that fields will be added to the data file at run time.  RPG
will not recognize these fields unless the program is recompiled, so I'm
wondering how you expect to get at them.  Are they place holders that
will have different 'kinds' of data?  By that I mean, you have your
fixed fields, then something like fieldA, fieldB where in one run fieldA
may contain a part number and in another run it may contain a vendor
code?  And what you are trying to do is change the column headings on
the report at run time?

Is this the type of program that is to be run by users that have little
or no knowledge of tools like query so that is not an option?

Taking the data to a spreadsheet has been ruled out?

I ask these questions because from what you are asking, IMO, you may be
asking the wrong question or maybe I just don't get it.

If you have 20 fields in a file and want a report where columns 1, 2,
and 3 are always the same fields and columns 3, 4, and 5 will be any
combination or sequence of the remaining 17 fields, you could condition
each field, within each column, by an indicator and set the appropriate
indicator in the program.

But, if you really mean that fields that never existed in the file can
somehow programagically appear on a report, RLU and RPG are not the
proper tools.

J. Kilgore