Good point.  For example SSA changed all their field sizes in the new
version 8.  Including, but not limited to, the key to their item master.
Try to imagine that impact of change.  Some of these make me wonder why
they didn't just use variable length.  Probably because AS/SET doesn't
support that.  And, 5250 design is archaic to program variable length
fields for.  Speaking from experience of converting a OV/400 application
to a variable length field and putting that on 5250.  Subfiles aren't the
answer.  Try to delete two words from the first line of a subfile and get
the rest to adjust.  Much simpler in html.  One keyword.

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

<qappdsn@attglobal.net>
Sent by: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com