From: Jeff Crosby [mailto:jlcrosby@DILGARDFOODS.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 3:33 PM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Procedure with multiple fields computed

Barbara Morris wrote:

> You don't have to convert your programs to procedures.  You just have to
> use a prototype to call the program.  (The manual says "Use the CALLP
> operation code".  CALLP stands for "call with prototype", not "call a
> procedure").
>
> This CALL/PARM code:
>
> C         CALL   'MYPGM'
> C         PARM               P1     10
> C         PARM               P2      5 2
>
> becomes this prototype/callp code:
>
> D MYPGM        PR            EXTPGM('MYPGM')
> D   p1                10a
> D   p2                 5p 2
> /free
>       mypgm (p1 : p2);
> or
>       callp mypgm(p1 : p2);

DOH!  The light bulb just went on.  I converted it to a prototyped
procedure, but you're telling me I did _NOT_ have to do that at all.  I
could have coded the prototype right in the calling program ONLY.

For future reference, can the parms be data structures?

--
Jeff Crosby
Dilgard Frozen Foods, Inc.

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily
the opinion of my company.  Unless I say so.