From: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com [mailto:rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Jim Langston
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 3:43 PM
To: 'rpg400-l@midrange.com'
Subject: RE: timeout question for rpg/dds but archives do not really
answer my question

Well, you can do a wait forever on a dataque, or you can wait some other
amount of time.

There was a discussion about this this week.
Here is the start of the thread:
http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/200207/msg00362.html

Here is a pertinent quote from a follow up:

The wait time is the maximum time you want to wait before timing out. When
entries are put on the data queue your program is notified immediately,
regardless of what the wait time is. You can tell if an entry was received
by checking the length field, as you do in your program. If it is zero then
the data queue timed out. BTW, if you don't want to time out at all, use a
wait time of  minus one (-1). Control won't be returned to your program
until something comes in on the data queue.

Albert York

Regards,

Jim Langston
Programmer/Analyst