 >> So if I understood you correctly, allocating memory is related to the
"C" programming language?

No - that was not exactly what I meant.

I meant simply that the programmer who wrote the example does not know RPG.
No RPG programmer would ever write it that way but .... They did know C/C++
and would therefore be more likely to write code that dynamically assigns
memory.  C has no notion of fixed length character strings (other than 1
long!) and so a C programmer is likely to allocate the memory they need for
strings as/when they need it.  Not being an RPG programmer the person
writing the examples apparently looked for similar functionality - and used
it.

Jon Paris
Partner400