How to organize our binding directories doesn't have a single
right answer. It is really whatever works best for me. But I don't know what is
the
best solution of all your answers.
(I remember the time when only the CRTRPGPGM command exists....)

Simon Coulter wrote:
> You should be using a change management tool to build your programs and
> service programs.
What is the best tool for us? What about the prices?

Barbara Morris wrote:
> Alexander, for each program and service program, create a binding
> directory of the same name containing all the modules and service
> programs it needs to compile.  It should then be easy to
>       crtpgm xyz   bnddir(xyz)
>       crtsrvpgm abc bnddir(abc)
The merits of this approach are that it in effect creates a "specification" of
the objects required to create a program. We also don't need to as worried
about name collision. It is an easy solution. But there are a lot of binding
directories.

Simon Coulter wrote:
> I use a build script for each service program...
> I may choose to use a binding directory also for things like
> the QC2LE entry points...
> I use a generic build script for my programs in which I list the main
> entry module and the application binding directory.  The application
> binding directory contains service programs only.
> If I build a program out of multiple modules (e.g., logic, presentation,
> etc.) then I would create a specific build script that listed the specific
> modules and the binding directory of service programs.
This option may be something in between where you use "bind by copy"
mixed with "bind by reference" (Service-Pgms).
This implementation may require a great deal of planning, thought and
rules. Creating a lot of scripts, binding directories and so on.

There is no single best solution, more options lead to more flexibility and more
decisions to make....

regards,
Alexander Brand