Buck,

Ok, Ok, Ok.... SOME of us are wanting ALL of those things.  I guess I was
just trying to be more realistic.  I understand your motives,
devils-advocate and all.   But I'd like to see at least some of these
things this decade :)

I'd like thee ability to read a delimited file, specifying the delim and
auto-parse into a datastructure.  (not necessarily externally defined).
That doesn't seem too difficult, and the routines are already there - in
the CPYFRMSTMF command.

I don't want to use the commands, they are fine for what they do, but using
them to programmatically read and write to the IFS just adds an extra layer
of crud to fish through.  I'd rather not have to create a temporary file to
hold the data, with it's own error routines, and then read the native file
in my rpg pgm where I have to do even more error checking.  I'd rather have
it all in one place, and not have the extra step.

I only got rid of 'update' capable because of the inherent problems of
inserting data in a stream file. don't you really need to rewrite the
thing?

I don't need any translation, other than CCSID and ascii/ebcidic, where
appropriate, and I don't have a problem specifying which.

you said:
"It's not the syntax issue that I'm worried about.  I use /free, C and
APIs.
Daily.  (Except today <grin>!)  I work with vendor supplied stream files
every day.  Every day.  Prototyping open() and read() is simple and easy,
no
matter what company I move to.  Using open() and read() is equally simple,
no matter what company I move to.  Just like I re-do my subfile template to
match a new employer, I will no doubt re-do my stream file prototype.  Not
really an issue for me personally, but I DO understand the power of
official
IBM backing."

<sarcasm alert>, what you're saying is that the Great Buck Calabro the GURU
of Commsoft, and the goto guy on our list, spends a lot of his time writing
EDI type vendor input file prototypes.  Don't you have a jr programmer that
could do that for you?  or doesn't he understand the posix routines enough
to write his own?
<smug look on my face>  My case is made  </end smug look>
</end sarcasm alert>

anyway, easy for you....  But in my environment, I'm allowed to use very
little of the fancy apis and posix routines (I try to sneak them in anyway
:), because I'm a short timer - a consultant who won't be here for very
long, and they don't want me to write stuff no one else can maintain (thier
words, not mine).

but if they were encapsulated in a bif or opcode, voila!  The heavens open,
The sun shines through, the pearly gates appear, I'm in like flint!

Now, after finally reading to the end of your post, i realize that you
REALLY DID want all of these things, and you WEREN'T JUST PULLING OUR
CHAINS!.

in the immortal words of Emily Latilla,   "Never Mind".

Rick