>Unfortunately, it counts for nothing. Mainly
>because there seems to be considerable confusion
>amongst developers -- myself included
>-- with respect to how the GPL really works.

Now there's a statement that can't be disputed!
-lots of good stuff snipped-

>Ultimately, it's the courts that will
>decide these issues, but who among us
>is willing to bet the farm that the
>decision works in our favour?

That's a very good point.  Our legal counsel haven't been able to come up
with a compelling argument for or against the GPL, and have suggested a
'wait until a test case happens' attitude.  That is, that we should NOT add
hooks to GPL code until the lawyers and judges have had a chance to work out
the specifics.

If I had my own software company, I would probably call GPL code based on my
relationship with the project.  That is, I would be very tempted to offer
hooks to the iSeries-toolkit because I (think I) know several of the
developers.  David especially has stated his intention numerous times:
sharing iSeries tools is a Very Good Thing.  All he wants to happen is that
the contributors get recognition, which separate inclusion of the source
code does.  I would be much more hesitant to link to just any project I saw
that looked cool.

It's a bit depressing really, that so much strife comes out of such a noble
idea.  And most certainly, that strife is far more in evidence outside our
iSeries world!
  --buck