From: "Jim Langston" <jlangston@celsinc.com>
To: <rpg400-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 4:13 PM
Subject: RE: IFS in RPG

To be fair, Hans, I can code in Native RPG IV a *lot* faster than coding to
an API in RPG.

If I want to read a records from a DB2 file I code an F spec, a setll, a
read(e), and a not eof()

If I want to read from an IFS file I have to write a Prototype for the file
open, prototype for the file read, prototype for the file eof, prototype for
the file close, then I can actually write my program.

True, I can design these once and put them in a library and link to that,
but now I have more maintenance issues, etc...

So, 4 lines of file I/O code native .vs., what, 25-30 lines of code to write
to APIs?

Understand, I'm not saying that Rochester should drop everything and write
native RPG IFS file I/O <g>, I'm just saying there is a point for native RPG
file I/O

Regards,

Jim Langston
Programmer/Analyst