I think that depends on what you mean by "oblivious." As Paul said, a
pointer simply points to a hunk of memory, it has no knowledge of what's at
that memory location, nor does it care. However, good coding practice, IMHO,
would demand that you not be oblivious to what's at that location. For
example I wouldn't do the following:

------BAD------
TheString       string;
TheInt  int;
TheFloat        float;
ThePointer      pointer;

TheString = "asdsad";
ThePointer = addressof(TheString);
DoSomething(ThePointer);

TheInt = 7;
ThePointer = addressof(TheInt);
DoSomethingDifferent(ThePointer);

TheFloat = 899.332;
ThePointer = addressof(TheFloat);
DoSomethingElse(ThePointer);
------END BAD------

But I would rather see the following:

------GOOD------
TheString               string;
TheStringPointer        pointer;
TheInt          int;
TheIntPointer   pointer;
TheFloat                float;
TheFloatPointer pointer;

TheString = "asdsad";
TheStringPointer = addressof(TheString);
DoSomething(TheStringPointer);

TheInt = 7;
TheIntPointer = addressof(TheInt);
DoSomethingDifferent(TheIntPointer);

TheFloat = 899.332;
TheFloatPointer = addressof(TheFloat);
DoSomethingElse(TheFloatPointer);
------END GOOD------

In the second example the deceloper "knows" what the pointer points to
because he's declared a pointer for a specific purpose and uses it for such.

Just my 2 cents worth.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President