-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Klement [mailto:klemscot@klements.com]

Hi,

Normally, the telnet device initialization program runs "when the device
is initialized", which is before it displays the sign-on screen.  Therefore,
the user desription info will be blank.

The exception to that is when the user uses a "bypass sign-on screen"
or "auto-signon" function found in some emulators.   When that's used, the
emulator sends the username, password, program, library, etc to the system
during the option negotiation phase.   In that case, the data is sent
during the option negotiation phase, and no sign-on screen is displayed.

You don't see "User Name" because it's called "User Profile" (they mean
the same thing)

Incidentally, ISOTELIR4 is something that I wrote (despite that no credit
appears to have been given) and there are some security implications when
using it.

     1) The peAutoSignOn parameter is currently left at off, as long
           as this is not changed, everything is safe -- but nobody
           will be able to use auto-signon.   If you changed the code
           to simply set it to *ON, then everyone can auto-signon
           WITHOUT NEEDING A VALID PASSWORD.   The correct way to
           handle this parameter is to check the "dsCnnPWvalid"
           variable from the connection description info.  Only set
           the peAutoSignOn to *ON if the password is valid.

           For example, you might do this:

0176.00 C* KLEMSCOT can can bypass the sign-on screen
0177.00 C* if he provides a valid password
0178.00 c                   select
0179.00 c                   when      dsUserProfile='KLEMSCOT'
0180.00 c                   if        dsCnnPWvalid = '1'
0181.00 c                               or dsCnnPWvalid='2'
0182.00 c                   eval      peAutoSignOn = *On
0183.00 c                   endif
0184.00
0185.00 C* User-IDs beginning with a 'Q' can never bypass
0186.00 C*  the sign-on screen:
0187.00 c                   when      %subst(dsUserProfile:1:1)='Q'
0188.00 c                   eval      peAutoSignOn = *Off
0189.00
0190.00 c* Other users can bypass sign-on, but only if they
0191.00 C* pass an encrypted password:
0192.00 c                   other
0193.00 c                   if        dsCnnPWvalid='2'
0194.00 c                   eval      peAutoSignOn = *On
0195.00 c                   endif
0196.00 c                   endsl

     2) Because of #1, anyone who has access to change/recompile this
           program can give himself the ability to log on as any
           user without a password.   He could, for example, log on
           as QSECOFR and give himself *ALLOBJ authority.

Make sure you understand these implications before using ISOTELIR4 (or any
other telnet device initializtion exit program) so that you don't open
your system up to trouble.