From: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com [mailto:rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of M. Lazarus
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 4:35 PM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Using CHAIN instead of SETLL AND READE to begin a loopwhich
reads a group

At 5/14/02 09:36 AM, you wrote:
>DDS keyword FIFO requires that you not reuse deleted records. Typically,
>it is a very bad idea to create files without the attribute set to allow
>the system to reuse deleted records.

  I was pretty sure that that was the case.

>Even in a case where you might determine that it is okay to not allow
>the system to reuse deleted records today, tomorrow might be a different
>story. In such a case, you would be facing a problem because the key
>structure doesn't suffice.

  If you are explicitly putting the FIFO keyword in the source, then that
is a deliberate design decision and should be respected as such.  There's
no right or wrong there.

>And what happens to the arrival sequence path if you copy the file or
>reorganize it over the key fields?

  I'm not sure, since I haven't had a need to try this.  Would FIFO
sequencing be retained?

  -mark