damn, does this bring back memories of the 'Good Old Days'

Mark

Mark Walter
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
Hanover Wire Cloth a div of CCX, Inc.
mwalter@hanoverwire.com
http://www.hanoverwire.com
717.637.3795 Ext.3040

                    rob@dekko.com
                    Sent by:                 To:     rpg400-l@midrange.com
                    rpg400-l-admin@mi        cc:
                    drange.com               Subject:     Re: program defined
Input file - examples please

                    05/09/02 03:49 PM
                    Please respond to
                    rpg400-l

Frank,

Jim's method is good.  Some might argue that you could use a bunch of I
specs to define your file, like:
     I                             A    1    5  ALPHA5
     I                             P    6    7 0PACKED3
However if you truly have "funky" data in the file then you will need to
evaluate each field prior to using either Jim's method, or the I spec
method.  For example, testing that a number is numeric, and that sort of
rot.  Granted there are some compiler options to ignore decimal data
errors but you will need to process that accordingly.

Maybe their definition of "funky" data is multiple record formats?  A
common practice years ago was the following sample data:
H0000001CUST0123
DITEMXYZ000025
DPRODABC000040
H0000002CUST0456
DBUBBATY000500

Reading this the first H record is a header, with order number 0000001 to
customer CUST0123.  On this order they purchased 25 of ITEMXYZ and 40 of
PRODABC.  The next order, 0000002 to customer CUST0456...
Are you getting the pattern?  This is still done in EDI because you pay by
the character to the Value Added Networks.
If this is their concern then using internally defined files with the
following might be the ticket:
     IMYFILE    AA  01    1 CH
     I                             A    1    1  RECID
     I                             S    2    8 0ORDER#
     I                             A    9   16  CUST#
     I          BB  02    1 CD
     I                             A    1    1  RECID
     I                             A    2    8  ITEM#
     I                             S    8   14 0QTYPUR
Of course you could still use Jim's method, but just set up two data
structures and set the pointer to the right data structure based on RECID.

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

"Frank W. Kany IV" <frank.kany@burr-reid.org>
Sent by: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com