The "signature" of a Service program indicates it's list of exported
modules.  That's what's so cool about BND Source... you can support multiple
signatures for the same Service Program so that if you add a new module you
only need to compile programs requiring the new module...

The USERSERV service program has the following signature... (from it's BND
source)

STRPGMEXP PGMLVL(*CURRENT)
  EXPORT SYMBOL("#CHKUSER")
  EXPORT SYMBOL("#GETUSER")
ENDPGMEXP

It is currently bound (through a binding directory) to program A, B, and C.
I need to add a new module, #DELUSER to this service program so that program
D can delete users.  I create the new Module and change the BND Source to
this...

STRPGMEXP PGMLVL(*CURRENT)
  EXPORT SYMBOL("#CHKUSER")
  EXPORT SYMBOL("#GETUSER")
  EXPORT SYMBOL("#DELUSER")
ENDPGMEXP

STRPGMEXP PGMLVL(*PRV)
  EXPORT SYMBOL("#CHKUSER")
  EXPORT SYMBOL("#GETUSER")
ENDPGMEXP

Now I UPDSRVPGM for USERSERV and add #DELUSER.  My service program now has
multiple "Signatures", one includes #DELUSER as an exported module and one
does not.  I can have *PRV signatures ad infinitum.

Best of all, I only need to compile and create program D in order to use the
new "signature": I can leave programs A, B, and C alone.

Joel R. Cochran
Director of Internet Services
VamaNet.com
(800)480-8810