Using Scott's example of stat() I have a concept program working great.
Now, I am trying to use it in a trigger program and I am running into
problems:

       When stat(%trim(WorkUnc): p_statds) < 0;
        LenWorkUnc=%len(%trim(WorkUnc));
        pStrErrNo = GetErrNo;
        pStrErrMsg = StrError(StrErrNo);
        ErrMsg = %char(StrErrNo) + StrErrMsg;
        rValidUnc=*off;

In debug the following are set:
WorkUnc = /QNTC/GDSNT/ACAD
ErrMsg = 3408The address used for an argument was not correct.
LenWorkUnc = 16

Other information...

     D stat            PR            10I 0 ExtProc('stat')
     D   path                          *   value options(*string)
     D   buf                           *   value

     D p_statds        S               *
     D statds          DS                  BASED(p_statds)
     D  st_mode                      10U 0
     D  st_ino                       10U 0
     D  st_nlink                      5U 0
     D  st_pad                        2A