That is the power of Linux and C, and would be alien to someone not familiar
with those platforms/languages.

stdin, stdout and stderr just.. are.  The same way if we say DSPLY  MYVAL in
RPG we know it is going to go to the interactive device session without us
having to open it, or set up a display file, etc...  The OS takes care of that.

It is very possible to redirect STDIN and STDOUT and is done in Linux/C all the
time.

cat myfile >myotherfile

cat will normally display a file to the screen (type in MS-DOS).  The >
redirector redirects stdout to myotherfile by the OS and so it gets written to
that file isntead.  cat doesn't know, or care, where stdout is directed to.  If
it started to mess around with stdout, in fact, it would mess up the OS level
redirection (very similar to AS/400 OVRPRT or OVRDBF).

Yes, it *is* possible to get a hold of the stdin, stdout or stderr file
pointers and redirect them somewhere else, and they are, normally, 0 1 and 2,
but you shouldn't do that unless you have a very very reason.  And you
shouldn't worry about closing them either.  Those are the exceptions to the
rule about closing open files.

HTH.

Regards,

Jim Langston